diciembre 17, 2010


I have been 25 years in fashion and I came to realise early on that I would discover something new by exploring the stunning achievements of people before me. Thus I have been recognized as an innovator.

It is for this reason that I gladly accepted to take part in this year’s festival of art and fashion, not because I wish to claim fashion as high art (fashion is an applied art and depends on the chic of the wearer) but because my craft is, at least, alive and this can hardly be said of pure art. […]

Having spent these years in cultivating my taste, I welcome this platform to express in more general terms my opinion regarding the future of art and culture: it is only by learning to copy that an artist learns to express himself, then, if he has talent, he will inevitably break the rules, FOR VISION DEPENDS ON KNOWLEDGE.

People today have been let to believe that the past is irrelevant, that if u cut the links with tradition u will become free: the opposite is true, u will become hemmed in. Is it too late, Damien?

Poor, callow Youth, you are being flattered by academics and businessmen. Well, fuck them! Their power lies in being able to manipulate u- Don’t make it easy. CAN YOU LEARN TO DRAW LIKE FRAGONARD LEARNT?. The past is yours and the future of art belongs to you.



Vivienne Westwood
New Persona/ New Universe
[Florence ]

1996

No hay comentarios.: